Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, June 6, 2010

OCR



Dustbury posted this Hurst advertisement from 1964. Naturally, I tried to read it. I could make out some of it, and then I got the bright idea of trying OCR (Optical Character Recognition). I found a couple of sites on-line and tried one of them. It didn't do too well. Hmm. Let's see how well I can do.


I used a text to image convertor to format this. I guess I'm just a converting kind of guy today. Not too bad, though there a couple of words I am not too sure of. Starfire, for instance, in the last paragraph. Oldsmobile did make a Starfire, but according to Wikipedia, they didn't start making it until 1975, which contradicts Dustbury's date for this ad. Normally I would expect to see Cutlass, or 442 in that place, but I couldn't get my eyes to agree with either of those. So I don't know what model name is really there.

I may have gotten some of the sexist remarks wrong as well, but it's been a long time, and I'm not sure my grasp of lingo from the 60's is as sharp as it once was.

Update February 2017 replaced missing images.

3 comments:

CGHill said...

There was an Olds Starfire from '61 through '66; Wikipedia even has a picture of a '61.

folhasmith said...

There are many other online OCR services existing one the web as well like: good ocr

Chuck Pergiel said...

I tried "good ocr" on a a piece of text from the ad (the left hand top paragraph starting with "For Him"). All I got back was

iiiiiiiiiiiiiii
iiiifiiiiiIlII

OCR may be good for large volumes of clearly printed text, but it's got a ways to go before it can match a human.

Looking at the image again, I find it almost impossible to figure out what the words are.