Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, November 24, 2014

J. B. S. Haldane, Man of the Day

John Burdon Sanderson Haldane
Jack sent me this tidbit:
In his decompression chamber experiments, he and his volunteers suffered perforated eardrums, but, as Haldane stated in What is Life, "the drum generally heals up; and if a hole remains in it, although one is somewhat deaf, one can blow tobacco smoke out of the ear in question, which is a social accomplishment." - Wikipedia
Obviously a man of outstanding character. When I looked him up I found this memorable line:
My own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.
I also found this line, which I found a little curious until it was explained.
"God has an inordinate fondness for beetles." This alludes to the fact that there are more types of beetles than any other form of insect, and more insects than any other kind of animal.
He also had a fondness for Lenin, which I will excuse because of his claim that reading Lenin cured his gastritis. The last bits come from Wikiquotes.

No comments: