Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Hair of the Dog by Barbara A. Oakley

An American catcher boat approaches a Soviet processing vessel (1979).
CREDIT COURTESY TONY ALLISON.
I picked this book up on a whim. Something prompted me to order a copy of Evil Genes and buying one book wasn't enough, so I bought two. It's a heck of a story. Barb got a job as a translator on a Soviet fish processing ship 30 odd years ago when a couple of guys ginned up a Soviet-American joint venture to harvest fish from American territorial waters, which had just been expanded from the old 3 mile limit to 200 miles.
    Curiously, the only mention I found of this joint venture in Wikipedia is in an article about Polar Star, a murder mystery by Martin Cruz Smith. Martin is one of my favorite writers. He wrote Three Stations and Stalin's Ghost, which I have read, and Gorky Park, which I have heard of (it's famous), but never read.

No comments: