Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Goclipse

Eclipse IDE Icon by Necromod


I've been playing with Google's Go programming language using the Coding Game web site. It's great for playing around, but now I want to try some actual stuff, which means I need a compiler on me computer. Traditionally development has been done using a text editor, a compiler and a debugger running on a terminal, or after the dark ages, running in a terminal window (aka a DOS box) on a PC. Microsoft brought us Visual Studio which integrated these components into one program, hence the IDE tag, which stands for Integrated Development Environment. Visual Studio was great, but it was designed specifically for developing programs for Windows. You want to work somewhere else, you were out of luck. Out of luck until a growing army of programmers decided that they had had enough of the dark ages and they wanted a shiny, new IDE too. So they wrote one. Or a hundred.
    Eclipse is one of those IDE-s. It's been around for awhile. It runs on Linux. I installed it on my machine yesterday, but somehow I got version 3.8.1 instead of the current version, 4.5. I probably missed an update somewhere in the last couple of years.
    Anyway, I'm looking for the bits and pieces that will set up Eclipse to handle Go and I come across this little note:

:cn: Note for users in China

If you are behind the Great Firewall of China, you are very likely to encounter problems installing GoClipse: blocked connections, timeouts, or slow downloads. This is because the update site is hosted in Github, which is blocked or has limited access.
Github is a big source code repository.

No comments: