Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Wrong Question

Indianapolis 500
Just because I needed a picture, I like pictures of cars, and Google served up this one in response to my inquiry about 500 digital TV channels.
At all times, at least one of the five zillion digital channels on my TV has a race going on,
or more likely someone talking about racing. Man, do those people talk.
Roberta X has some good things to say today, which prompted me to write down a couple of ideas that I've been kicking around.

Scrolling through the list of channels available on my TV, I realized that they are roughly divided into three groups: Sports, News and Drama. Drama basically covers everything that isn't sports or news. Soap operas, movies, serials, reality shows, etc, are all dramatic. Sports I understand. We live in the physical world and one's ability to cope with that world along with our natural competitive instinct can make sports compelling. I think professional sports have taken this activity to ridiculous extremes, but if that's what people want to do then so be it.

Drama, near as I can make out,  is dealing with more subtle actions, expressions, tone of voice and deceptions. I spend a fair amount of time here, but I am at least somewhat particular about what I watch. Lately it's been crime serials, but I like a good thriller as well. Shoot, I like anything with a good story. Of course whether a story is 'good' or not is entirely subjective.

News is about current events, but lately it seems to be more about what somebody said about something that someone else said, not so much about what happened or what someone did. Oh, there are the horrific crime stories, but generally they don't signify much of anything.

So if these three topics are all there is to our civilization, it would collapse. There is a whole lot of mundane work that goes on every day to enable these 500 channels of digital entertainment to flow into our homes.

But none of this is looking at the big picture, which is what do we want? And how do we propose to get there? Oh, I know that some people are floating ideas, but it seems like that stuff that comes down the wire is mostly nit-picky criticisms, very little of substance gets through. Of course there is the problem what you consider substance. People have very different ideas of what is important.

Everything we do contributes to our civilization. Sometimes in a positive manner, sometimes in a negative one (depending on your point of view). I kind of get the feeling that all we do is kind of like we are all working on a monumental sculpture. We are busy knocking off the rough edges, smoothing out the curves, polishing the surface, making our little corner beautiful (or smashing somebody else's unguarded work), but we don't really have any idea what we have built or what the entire thing looks like now, or what it should look like when we are done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chuck,

You left out the "Religious" and "Shopping" categories. It seems to me that every cable TV tier contains a multitude of such channels. Say you want to buy the "Extreme Water Sports" channel. Well, you can't just pay $10 to get it. You have to pay $30 to get it and 29 other channels that are 24/7 garbage. There are a few exceptions (e.g., TV5 from France for $13), but I haven't seen very many.

We must always remember that TV is a "mass" media, and must cater to the "masses", even with 500 channels. If you are part of the masses, whoever they are, you fit right into the sponsor's plans. If not, and I know you, Chuck, you are not, all you can do is shrug and ignore the mass hysteria and bullshit and be grateful that "you are not the target demographic". And switch to YouTube.

Regarding racing, especially NASCAR: I am a fan, but it irks me endlessly that NASCAR, like many US companies, has become just another snout at the federal trough. That "American Ethanol" sticker around every fuel filler inlet really frosts me. Yes, NASCAR makes a ton of legitimate money too but I prefer the unbridled grassroots honesty and blatant corporate sponsorship in IndyCar. So there.

Your pen pal
James.