Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, February 8, 2018

Redkino, Russia

Police surround a home in the small Russian town where Sergey Egorov shot and killed nine people on June 4. Dmitry Vinogradov / Sputnik / Scanpix / LETA
Babylon Berlin is just amazing. It's got all this weird stuff going on and I'm wondering how much of it is real. I start with Svetlana Sorokin just because she's such a stand out and, no, I don't find an heiress to a secret fortune in gold. I find it's a fairly common name. But wait, what's this at the bottom of the page, a story about a murder? Well, there is plenty of murder going on in the show, let's see what we've got. What we've got is guy losing his shit and killing a bunch of his neighbors. A horrible story, but I don't think I've ever seen a news report of this kind from Russia. I mean I am sure Russian media has horror stories just like we do, but I don't read Russian, so I don't know. But this story is in English, and it's not just a brief press release, it's a real story. Don't think I've ever seen the like. I hear English is common in Western Europe, so maybe it's making inroads to the East.

Streetview Cameraman, Redkino Russia
So I'm looking at a map of Redkino and I wonder if Google has recorded it with the Streetview cameras. It doesn't look like it, but zoom out and we find that a nearby highway has been recorded, and the nearby town of Tver, and hey, it seems a small part of central Redkino has been recorded as well. I zoom back in and find a short stretch of a blue line, so I take a look. It's a section of path a couple of dozen yards long that runs next to a railroad track. Looking around I see an industrial neighborhood, a couple of people walking, and the top of the guys head who is holding the camera. I'll be durned, Russians got hair on the top of their heads just like we do. I was kind of expecting horns.


No comments: