Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, June 19, 2021

Memphis Bridge Crack


What Really Happened at the Hernando de Soto Bridge?
Practical Engineering

This guy is a little too white bread for my taste, but his presentation is clear and he covers the subject pretty well. His explanation of bridge structures was illuminating, and here I thought I already knew all that. Maybe I did, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone explain it as clearly as this.

I have a bit of an aversion to bridges and tunnels, but it's not very strong. I look at the odds of a catastrophe befalling one of these route enhancers, and while they are not zero, they are pretty dang low. On the other hand, the odds of getting eaten by a bear have fallen tremendously in the last couple of hundred years, so we have a trade-off and it looks like a pretty good deal. So I push my fears back into the hole in the ground they are trying to crawl out of and go on with my life and drive through the tunnels and over the bridges.

Google Maps delivers a pretty impressive 3-D rendering of this bridge:

Hernando de Soto Bridge, Memphis Tennessee

Until I saw this video I didn't realize that Arkansas was across the river from Memphis. I mean I sort of knew that both states in were in same general area, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention that fact before. Which makes me wonder, what's on the other side of the river anyway? Well, West Memphis is on the other side of the river, West Memphis, the crossroads of the American trucking industry. Population 26,000, which makes it about 2% of the Memphis Metropolitan Area.

Update two weeks later: I just realized that Practical Engineering pasted their name on the beam, right next to the giant crack. If I was a real engineering firm, I don't think I would want my name within ten miles of this bridge. But maybe it's different for YouTube channels.

1 comment:

xoxoxoBruce said...

Sometimes white bread is the best way to an explanation we can all understand.
He gives me the impression he knows what he's talking about and is telling the truth.

At the west end of that bridge is the busiest truck scale weigh station in the country, according to my buddy who helped install/maintain the scales.