Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, June 7, 2021

New Car

I'm thinking about a new car. It wouldn't be a new, new car, just a new to me new car. Younger son has gotten tired of his beat-to-death monster truck and is looking for something that can get him around town. Family thinks I should sell him my car since I am having trouble getting in and out of it. My wife thinks we can get by by sharing her SUV. Her car would be better for me because it's easier to get in and out of. I suspect that will work for about a week. We're too old, too set in our ways, once she finds that I have taken the car when she wants to go somewhere, we're going to be going car shopping. 

I'm thinking I should have kept my Dakota. It needed a new transmission and there was a dent in the fender, and it was probably going to need a new engine, and while all that would cost around $10K, it's still a far cry from the $25K they want for a new one. Well, they would if they still made them. They don't but other makes do make mid-sized pickup trucks. Of course, these days you might have trouble finding anything. IAman was at the Toyota dealer the other day and they did not have ANY cars.

Since then I have discovered that Dr. Linda might be right about my back. Doing a dozen situps a day seems to help, so maybe I don't need an SUV, maybe I could just get a car. But if I'm going to buy a car, I want something with style. I started looking around at the cars on the road and while I sort of knew that they were all repulsive looking blob-mobiles, when I started looking it really hit me. Gawd, they are just hideous.

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe

So what do I get? Well, a classic from the 50's or 60's might be kind of cool, especially if it had flame paint on the fenders and lakes pipes along the sides. My wife would hate it, but it would force her to get her garage sale merchandise out of the garage so the car could be hidden from the neighbors. A F-type Jag might be a possibility. I like they way they look, they aren't too expensive. Okay, a used one costs as much as a new full-size pickup truck. It would be a stretch, but it's not out of reach. Maybe when I get the new house project completed. Maintenance on a Jaguar is liable to be expensive and annoying, but it's not like I have to go somewhere every freaking day.


3 comments:

xoxoxoBruce said...

Used car prices have gone crazy.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. A beat-to-death monster truck sound interesting. I'll bet you could get a good deal. Pictures? I like my 2011 Ford Ranger XLT.

Chris

xoxoxoBruce said...

My buddy in TX just sold his 2020 Ram 2500 for $8 grand more than he paid for it new.