『MISS KING / ミス・キング』本予告|9月29日(月)よる8時ABEMAで無料配信
ABEMA ドラマ【公式】
Miss King is basically a Japanese version of Queen's Gambit. We've got a disadvantaged young woman taking up the game of Soghi to exact revenge on her estranged father, the current champion.
Our girl's father named her for the rook piece from the game - Asuku. Her father inexplicably abandons her and her mother, her mother contracts cancer and dies, our girl gets framed for stealing at her job and evicted from her apartment. Freeloader and former Soghi contender Seigio drags her into his local hangout where the landlord gives her a place to stay.
Seigio and Asuku find they have something in common - hatred for Asuku's father - so they embark on a course of revenge. Seems Asuku, at the age of six, was a bit of a prodigy, which might be why her father left. So Asuku resumes playing the game and starts competing, working her way up through the ranks of competing players until she can finally challenge her father.
I really enjoyed Queen's Gambit and Miss King. I have no particular interest in chess, but these stories about the players are pretty great. We have watched several Japanese shows this year and while they were passable, this is the first one that was actually very good.
I have played chess, but it seemed like a lot work for not much reward, other than the thrill of victory, which won't buy you a stick of gum, much less a cup of coffee, unless you get to the top of the heap, and how likely is that?
I always thought Chess was international, and I suppose it is, but there are variations out there and Soghi is one of those. It's a little more complicated with the ability to add captured enemy pieces to your own forces.
8 short episodes

No comments:
Post a Comment