Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, February 25, 2016

New Albany, Ohio

Building on the Abercrombie & Fitch world headquarters campus, New Albany, Ohio
When I was in high school my dad decided that he wanted to be a farmer so he bought an apple orchard. He wanted to sell the apples he grew, so bought a lot near New Albany and put up a small store. Back in the late 60's New Albany was nothing. A crossroads with perhaps a gas station. Abercrombie & Fitch crossed my radar a few years ago and I discovered that they had built a new world headquarters campus and distribution center in, of all places, New Albany, Ohio. I was shocked. I had a real hard time with the idea that anyone would voluntarily build anything in such an out of the way place, a place with bitter cold winters and stinking hot and humid summers. I guess economics, central heating and central air conditioning make anything possible.

Abercrombie & Fitch world headquarters & distribution center, New Albany, Ohio
This view is about 0.9 miles across and 1.1 miles top to bottom.
The headquarters buildings are the irregular jumble of light gray building in the center. The distribution warehouses are at the bottom center and right. The sprawl of thick gray lines at the top center are parking lots. They hold about a zillion cars.

Inspired by a post from Comrade Misfit.

Update the next day. Iaman sent me a link to a related story in The New Yorker from 2013.

No comments: