Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, February 22, 2016

Pothole Mitigation


New Ford Fusion V6 Sport Helps Protect Against Potholes
Via Road & Track

I'm a little suspicious of electronic systems that are supposed to help keep you from crashing your car. Our 2008 Hyundai Sonata has one called ESC (Electronic Stability Control). I don't know how it works, I don't see how it could work, and I don't like something that can apply the brakes when it wants to. Don't know if it actually can. Maybe it can only reduce the braking force on select wheels, kind of like the anti-skid braking systems. Funny, I don't mind anti-skid systems, which operate on just that principle, probably because I know how they work. They can do some good, especially on the rear wheels of pickup trucks that drive around empty most of the time.
   This anti-pothole system looks like it could do some good, but it is electronic, and like all electronics is prone to failure. If this thing catches on I can imagine in 20 years or so people deciding against buying a particular used car because the pothole mitigation system has failed.

No comments: