Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, February 2, 2009

3M v. 3M

I got a notice in the mail today from UBS (stock broker):
IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
blah, blah, blah

INSULATORS AND ASBESTOS WORKERS ... on Behalf of 3M COMPANY,

Plaintiff,

v.

(A list of 14 people's names)

Defendants,

and

3M COMPANY, a Delaware Corporation,)

Nominal Defendent.
Well, isn't that special? 3M is suing 3M. (begin sarcasm) I'm so glad (end sarcasm). Why are they telling me? Because at one time, under the auspices of my retirement fund, I must have owned some 3M stock. I may still. I don't know. I look at the annual results, and, well, this year they were pretty terrible, but that's another kettle of fish. Let's get back to this important message.

It was only one sheet of paper, printed on both sides, so for a legal document it was pretty short. Near as I can make out the plaintiff (the 3M pension Fund) was objecting to the way executive bonuses were being calculated. Something about taxes. The suit is being dismissed with prejudice (meaning they can't refile the same suit), but the defendents will pay the plaintiff's lawyers $600,000. Well, good, the guys in suits will get enough to cover their green fees for the coming year. Oops, sorry, more sarcasm slipping in.

I am almost tempted to look into this a little more, but it would probably just make me angry, and what could I do about it? I think I'll be better off if I just go fix myself a nice cup of tea and not worry about the guys in suits. What a waste of paper.

You can see all the gory details here (heaven help you)(the url was in the notice):
http://www.3m.com/investor/derivative/settlement

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do we stop them We are talking my money.

Unknown said...

Your sooooooooo right!!!!!! as I opened up the letter which I use a letter opener, but this letter was the most difficult letter I ever opened!!!!!!!! & reading it was very dificult because of such poor Quality. 3M was alsways top on quality {what happened ??????} I'm glad I own an APPLE MacBook so I can make even the worst print look good. The reason for me writing this is, Yes I own 3M stock & yes I was once a 3M factory worker for over 40 years, Now I'm just getting older every day, the rich get rich & the poor get poorer.. samo samo---I don't know how they can live with themselves day after day screwing the little guy & gal. What can we do????????? one thing is for sure YOU,, NONE OF YOU WILL EVER GET OUT OF THIS LIFE ALIVE !!!!!!!!!3m OLD FACTORY WORKER/stockholder {note small m] good luck 2 all, even the suitguys.