Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Luck

McKean School, Highway 661, just south of Dilwood

One winter day back in Ohio I was driving my Dad's 1967 Buick LeSabre down Route 661 near McKean school and there was a big snowdrift across the road, untouched. I was familiar with these. They were light and puffy, no real obstacle, just push on through them. But this one was pretty big, two or three feet deep, completely covering my lane of the road and some length, maybe 50 feet. I didn't want to get stuck in it, and I didn't want to have to futz with it, pushing gently into and backing up, and pushing again, so I ran into at full tilt, 50 or so MPH. There was a little jolt as the car hit the snow and then the snow exploded and everything turned white. But I was right in my estimation that it was not substantial, the car went all the way through. I made a mistake though, I let off the gas. This let the rear wheels slowed down, and when we came out the other side and hit the asphalt there was hell to pay. The tires were screeching and the back end of the car was slewing left to right and back again. I was lucky there was nobody else on the road, because I was all over it. Lucky I didn't go in the ditch.


1967 Buick LeSabre 4 door

Update June 2016 replaced missing picture of the Buick. Replace picture of the school because Blogger was complaining about some kind of problem sending it over https.

Satellite view of the school here.

No comments: