Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Blood Draw

Went to the lab today to get some blood drawn and I learned a couple of things. Vampires always have a hard time with me. The have trouble finding a vein with their needles. Usually they can find one in my left arm, almost never in my right. This time they fail on the left arm, but this time he checks my right wrist and finds something he likes. He tells me that I have a vein that will certainly work. Not everyone has it, but for people who do (like me) he has never failed to get blood from it. He inserted his needle approximately where the word Cephalic is this drawing from Gray's anatomy.

As he is about to poke me he tells me that the one draw back to this site is that it will sting a little. He was right about that. He used a syringe to draw the blood instead of one of those little vacuum bottles, the better to control the speed of the blood flow. Something about hemolizing (a process of disintegration or dissolution of red blood cells with liberation of hemoglobin).

I need to remember to drink a couple of glasses of water before I come here next time. They tell me that will make it easier to find the veins. Staying warm also helps. Sandy can always find a vein, but she is the veteran there, and she only draws blood when she feels like it.

No comments: