Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

ftp - File Transfer Protocol


A few weeks ago I ran into a situation where I needed to use ftp to upload a file to the internet. Poking around I came across one site that sounded promising but turned out to be worse than useless. I was going to tell them what I thought, but you have to sign up. Yeah, that's just what I want a membership with a really stupid web site. Dummkopfs.

Their suggestions only work on sites that have implemented the necessary features, which means almost none. For any normal site you will need an ftp client program.

A little more searching turned up gftp & filezilla, both ftp client programs for Linux.

gftp installed, but would not run. That was all the effort it got from me. If it doesn't work the first time, I'm not going to spend any time on it.

Used filezilla instead. It installed and ran fine. They have versions for Windows, Linux & Mac.

No comments: