Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Rebuilding Center

Grand Central Bakery

Daring daughter and I went over to the East side this morning to scope out The ReBuilding Center. They collect used building materials and resell them. It is a funny sort of business to try and run here in Oregon where our prime export to the rest of world used to be lumber. If you have a lot of time to spend rummaging around, I imagine you could probably find what you need. They have everything: lumber, lights, doors, windows, siding, cabinets, hardware, and on and on. Darling daughter was totally enamoured of the place. She found all kinds of things that she thought she could make into something cool for her new apartment. To me, the doors were the only thing there that looked like they might be valuable. Doors come in pretty standard sizes, and solid wood doors are almost a thing of the past. The only solid wood door in my house is the front door, and it cost several hundred dollars 15 years ago. There are a couple of other "solid core" doors in my house, but I eventually found out that the "solid core" is foam, not wood. I was surprised when I discovered that. We took a walk around the neighborhood later. It's a nice place. More photos here.

Update November 2022 replace dead Picasa link with with photo and link to photo album.

No comments: