Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Canoe and 1.5 HP motor

Michigan Mike goes for cruise.

It's quite slower than it appears. Upstream against a 5 mph current it makes about walking speed against the bank. On flat water it manages a good clip. It's a Sportspal canoe, like 35 lbs superthin aluminum, and an Evinrude Mate 1.5 HP 2 stroke water-cooled from 1969, that weights about 20 lbs. Portage whole thing if needed, I suppose. You can find those motors occasionally on CL. I got mine on ebay. (Another) Mike (redacted) brought home a dead one which I replaced rings in and it ran. Needs main bearing before it grenades, though. Mine has cord start, his has recoil. And they are noisier than paddles, so earplugs are needed. But I think I could do a multi-day trip in one. Looking at Muskegon River.

Parts are available online still, except for main bearing, which I found on ebay and came in an "OMC Waukegan, IL" OEM envelope.

OMC is responsible for the nearly complete deadly contamination of Waukegan Harbor due to improper PCB disposal of hydraulic fluid through floor drains.

But I got a sweet little motor out of the deal...

No comments: