Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pistol Technique

We're working our way through the FX serial drama Damages with Glenn Close and Rose Byrne as Ellen Parsons. This week we're on season two (episode 5 @14:26), and Ellen, amongst other things, is learning how to shoot a gun.


Shooting right handed and aiming with her left eye is a little odd, but I suppose it would work. Seeing this reminded me of an old post of Snigs:
So, today I shot the way I wanted to- one handed*, rapid-fire- pulling the trigger as fast as I could on the 22 & cocking & firing the 357 as quickly as I could, as well. I also changed my grip on the 357, to something that feels slightly more natural for me.

*My initial firearms training years ago was done by my Daddy, who taught me to shoot one-handed. He said if you had to hold a gun with two hands, it was too much gun for you & that two-handed shooting was theatrical. Not saying he was right or wrong, but it works for me.
Everything I've ever seen recommends using both hands, mostly to improve your aim. I imagine you should be able to hold the gun steadier using two hands than just one. And then I saw this video.


So maybe handgun means just that, it's a handgun, not a handsgun. Ha.

2 comments:

LeeAnn said...

I power-watched my way through seasons 1-3 in about a week, and it was week one that hooked me. I'm on week 4 now and so far I'm not as entranced. I still dig it, though.

Chuck Pergiel said...

I think the best part is seeing Ellen's reactions, what she does and what she says whenever she runs into the next bit of Glenn/Patty's malfeasance. And there's always another one. Plus there are dead bodies.