Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, October 17, 2016

Goodreads Reject Pile

I used to read everything. Now I'm getting picky. If a book doesn't grab me, I'll put it down. I just added a bunch of books to Goodreads, and some of those are books that I didn't finish and I am not going to finish. Goodreads only has three categories for books:

  1. Read, 
  2. Currently Reading and 
  3. Want to Read. 
I thought we needed a fourth category: Rejected. I dunno, maybe that term is a too strong, because it doesn't mean it's a bad book. Someone else may be enthralled with it. It just means I didn't like it, I'm not going to read any more of it. It's nice to recall books I've enjoyed, but I want to record the books I didn't like as well. I don't want to go there again. 


So I complained to Goodreads, and it turns out there is a a way to handle this. You can create custom 'shelves' (categories) for your books, but that by itself doesn't get you out of the their default category choices. However:
You can also make the shelf exclusive, which allows you to bypass the default shelves ("read", "currently-reading", and "to read") on your edit shelves page.  Books added to exclusive shelves cannot be added to other exclusive shelves (like "read"), but they can still be added to any of your non-exclusive custom shelves. - Carla at Goodreads

No comments: