Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, February 8, 2020

BLACK TEXT MATTERS

I don't know what is wrong with some web page designers. Maybe they're racists. Maybe they want all colors to blend together. White backgrounds are becoming less white and black text is becoming less black and more gray. If they have their way eventually if will all blend into a gray fog and you will have to imagine what the text says. Of course, some people apply their own filters to whatever they read. You may as well run the text through a blender before you give it to them. They are going to twist it to their own purposes regardless.

Never-the-less, anytime I come across a page with gray text, I fire off a nasty gram telling these nincompoops to get their act together. Use BLACK not gray for text.

2 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

Black on light yellow for best contrast, cf. airport ground vehicles etc.

Chuck Pergiel said...

Makes me wonder why we use white paper. I presume we use white screens because we use white paper, and I suspect we use white paper because some combination of 1) what could be made, 2) what would sell, and 3) perhaps a bit our tradition of equating white with purity. I have no desire for yellow paper or a yellow background on my screen, but maybe that's just because those things have always been white and that's what I am used to. It might be interesting to see how people would react if white was replaced by yellow.