Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, October 3, 2020

Printed Paper Backup of Digital Files

QR Code

Alisina Bahadori has devised a scheme to convert digital files to QR codes which can then be printed. If you need to retrieve the original document, the printed copy can be scanned and then a special program can extract the original data. Cumbersome, but I imagine it would work.

But I am not sure this is a good idea. It is a good idea to make backup copies of important digital files on a regular basis, but usually this is done by coping the files from one electronic gizmo to another. We used to print all kinds of things on paper, but with the way our modern world operates we could print so many things that we would soon be literally buried under the avalanche of paper. 

Sorting through old papers and getting rid of useless items is a chore it behooves you to undertake on a regular basis. I am not sure electronic files are an improvement. I have filled up my entire allotment of free storage on Google Drive so I should probably start performing the same housecleaning operations over there. Oh, I could just 'buy' more storage space, it's only $2 a month, but is what I have over there of any value? There are a few files that I use on a regular basis, and my phone automagically uploads my photos to there, but 15 gigabytes? I need to clean out the deadwood. I suspect the bulk of it is old photos, and they don't really need to be there.

I suppose there could be special cases where you would want a backup copy that did not use an electronic gizmo, some kind of high security operation for instance, or maybe you are in some remote location where you don't have internet access and only have one hard disk, but you have all the machinery you would need for this process, i.e. a printer, a scanner and large supply of paper and toner. Still sounds kind of nuts. But whatever turns your crank. On your manual printing press.

Via Detroit Steve


No comments: