Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Twilight - 1998


Medium old movie (15 years ago), quartet of old actors: Gene Hackman, age 68 at the time the movie was made, Susan Sarandon (52), James Garner (70) and Paul Newman (73). Paul Newman died in 2008, the rest are still alive and kicking, even Garner (aka Rockford aka Brett), who got pulled from the barbecued steak ad campaign when he had a heart attack. The movie is a classic Hollywood detective story, complete with ex-drunk, ex-cop, private eye (Newman), old, rich, retired actor (Hackman), femme fatale (Susan), a dutiful henchman (Garner) and a long hidden secret (shhh!).
    I don't like Hackman. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I've seen him in a zillion movies and I'm just tired of him. Or maybe his personality is starting to shine through his characters and I don't like what I see. Hard to say, he's an actor after all. I mean, he could be trying to be obnoxious. Remember that bit about fame? "I don't care what they say about me as long as they spell my name right."
    Susan has one scene where she is trying to impress Newman that she doesn't care about the money, all she cares about is her hubby. She starts smashing vases and what not, but she gives up after half a dozen pieces. Made me think it was a staged temper tantrum with carefully selected faux pieces from Targèt.
    Then we have this scene with Newman carrying his gun in a holster. It looks to me like the gun is upside down. Seems like it would be easier to grasp if it was turned the other way. It is easy for me to put my hand behind my back, but to turn my hand so I could grip this gun is a stretch. On the plus side, once you have gotten a hold of the gun in this position, it is one smooth move to bring it into firing position. The other way, with the gun right side up, would be easier to grasp, but it requires two movements to bring the gun around. So this might be a better method, but it would take some getting used to.

1 comment:

Roberta X said...

The cant is a little weird and it's way far back, but the direction is actually the current "best practices."

Better to put it *just* behind the point of the hip and a bit more vertical. The idea here is to make the draw a single, smooth move without having to rotate the gun (and your wrist) around the bore of the barrel. Instead, it's a natural turn of wrist iand forearm to bring it around, up and on-target.