Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Titan Medical Single Port Orifice Robotic Technology (SPORT)


I think I figured out what happened to all those people with the watchmaker gene. They are making all kinds of tiny, crazy stuff, like this remote control surgical hand.
    A 25mm hole (that's about one inch) may seems kind of big, but compared to the hole you would need to allow a surgeon to get his actual hands inside you, it's nothing. And flesh stretches, they would probably only need to make a single incision two inches long in order to get inside.
    It's not a true robot, it doesn't think for itself. It's more of a teleoperator, or a Waldo, for you Heinlein fans. Since there is no mechanical connection between the console and the robot, the surgeon would not even have to be in the same room, or even in the same city.
    This all kind of reminds me of the book Star Surgeon that I read a long time ago that I really liked. I mean, I must have liked it, it's been over 40 years and I still remember reading it. Looking for it now I find there are two different books with this title, one by Alan E. Nourse and another one by James White. The name Nourse rings a bell, but that's all I can tell you. Operating from another planet would be a little difficult, what with the time lag due to the speed of light.
    Titan Medical. Via Post-hipScott.

No comments: