Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, October 25, 2013

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - Theatrical Trailer - 2001


This is my favorite Science Fiction movie. Well, one of my favorites anyway. I especially like (hate) the mechanical warriors from the other planet, they remind me so much of our own headlong rush into ever more sophisticated means of delivering death and destruction. I have not been able to find a good image of them, they only show up on the screen for a few seconds at a time. Prompted by my musings about war, I went looking for some images of them. Not finding anything I went to IMDB where I find that while it cost $137 million to make, it grossed only about one percent of that in Italy. WTF? Why do we care what it grossed in Italy? Whatever. Wikipedia tells us it grossed $85 million worldwide and this relatively poor showing led to the demise of Square Pictures, the producer. Movie money is pretty funny stuff. I mean how much of the box office gross actually gets back to the producers? And then there's that story about an actor who signed a deal for a percentage of the net profits. He ended up getting nothing because, as the old hand said, "there is no net". Everything that comes in gets siphoned off into one rathole, er, legitimate business expense, or another.

No comments: