Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Remote Entry

Our Mitsubishi Endeavor (a mid-sized SUV) has a remote entry system. Actually, all of our cars have this. The Endeavor is different in that: a) the remote control key fob is integrated with the key, and b) it has only one actual key lock on the outside of the vehicle.

The integrated remote control has its' pros and cons. On the plus side you only have the one do-hickey to keep track of. On the minus side it makes the key big and thick. I have a remote for my truck but I don't carry it around because I don't want the extra bulk in my pocket where I keep my keys. (I realize this may seem silly, maybe my pants are just too tight.) So anytime we go anywhere in the Endeavor, I pick up the key on the way out the door.

Sometime ago I noticed that there was no key lock in the backdoor, and no key lock in the passenger's door. The only outside key lock was in the driver's door. I wonder if this a preview of the future when there will be no mechanical locks at all and everything is done by remote control. I mean it is not too far fetched. They are building airliners that fly-by-wire now.

I am sure it is all part of a great conspiracy to eliminate all the old mechanical trades. Radios used to have mechanical presets. To set a radio button to a particular station you simply tuned to that station and then pulled on the button. Of course it wasn't really obvious. I did not figure out how to set the presets for a long time. I took apart a radio with mechanical presets one time. They were a marvel of mass production: full of complicated, tiny parts that worked with unexpected precision.

Now they are trying to get rid of mechanical locks. We got an after-market remote entry for our old Ford Windstar minivan. At the time, it was imperative that we have it. Probably had something to do with having little kids. It worked fine for a number of years and then it started to develop this bad habit of locking the doors all by itself. My wife got locked out a couple of times when she was getting coffee because of this. Recently the mechanical locks on the front doors started to act up: they just would not turn. Eventually I figured out how to hold my mouth, er, the key, so it would work. It was odd because it happened to both front doors at about the same time, and the drivers door is the one that gets all the use.

The Chrysler Sebring has it's own set of problems. It has remote entry, a special theft deterrent key and an alarm system. The remote entry has it's own key fob and works fine, or at least I haven't heard about any problems. The key has a padded handle that is maybe a quarter inch thick. It contains some kind of passive radio device that interacts with an antennae around the ignition lock. This means that if you need a new key you can't just get a copy made of the metal key: it won't work. You need to get a special key blank and then have it cut to match. And the blanks aren't cheap. They cost somewhere North of $35.

So just don't lose the key. But we still have the alarm system to contend with. First of all car alarms are one of my pet peeves. They do an infinitely better job of irritating people than they do deterring theft. Besides, that's why you buy insurance. Let the thieves steal the car quietly, without waking your neighbors up. Call the insurance company in the morning and go buy a new car. I know it's a bit of an inconvenience, but it doesn't ruin my sleep.

Anyway, the alarm system on the Sebring sometimes goes off for no good reason. Press the wrong button and it gets all upset, at loud volume, and only by going through the correct machinations can you get it to shut up. I tried to get it removed, but it is integrated into some other piece of electronics that is basically essential to the operation of the car. I think we have learned through trial and error, what not to do, so it has not gone off recently.

But back to the Mitsubishi. Just for grins I tried unlocking the drivers door with the key. It took a little finesse. First attempt resulted in my simultaneously turning the key and pressing the button in the key fob to lock the doors. Second, more careful, attempt worked fine. The ignition still requires a metal key. Never noticed a problem with locking the doors when turning on the ignition. I mean it wouldn't be a problem, but I have never heard the electric locks engaging at that time. I got used to using the key fob to lock this car because it is not clear to me which way to push the inside control button on the drivers door. If I drove it more than a couple of times a month I might get it sorted out.

Update June 2015: Replace missing picture of Windstar.
Update October 2016: Replace missing picture of Mitsubishi.

No comments: