Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, March 7, 2008

Orpheum Theater

"From cascading crystal chandeliers to hand-carved detailing, from vast tiered balconies to purple granite flooring, the magnificently restored Orpheum theater in Sioux City, Iowa recreates the extravagant opulence of a vaudeville palace in its roaring twenties heyday." (from: Meyer Sound)

Purple granite flooring?!?!?! I have seen polished granite floors before in places like government buildings, theaters and other public places, but I don't think I have ever seen purple granite. I may have to just go to Sioux City to check this out.

I just found out that my sister-in-law has landed a job at the Orpheum Theater in Sioux City, Iowa. Now I have heard that name, Orpheum, before, but where? Well it turns out that in the early part of the 20th century there was a whole chain of them across the U.S., all run by the Orpheum Circuit Company. Los Angeles has the oldest, and it is probably the most famous, which is why I recognized the name.

But this one in Sioux City is no slouch. Someone spent a bunch of money restoring it a few years ago and now it is running as a full tilt modern venue for music, Broadway shows, even movies. Here's a slide show of mostly borrowed photos:



In case you are wondering, "Sioux City, where have I heard that name before?", they had a big plane crash there back in 1989. They even made a movie about it.

1 comment:

CGHill said...

The odd crash notwithstanding, everyone should fly to Sioux City just once, if only to get the infamous SUX luggage tag.