Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, March 21, 2008

"The Brave One"

I like Jody Foster. Perhaps because she plays strong characters as opposed to ditz's like Goldie Hawn. Perhaps because she's good looking, perhaps because she's old like me, well not quite that old. This wasn't the greatest movie, but it was entertaining and it had it's interesting and well played bits.

Her running into a one bad guy right after another is a little too coincidental, but hey, it's a movie, and she was looking for trouble.

The comment by the detective about how women don't engage in this kind of behavior was interesting. You certainly don't see it very often in the movies. I don't know about real life, I haven't heard about any vigilantes lately. Bernard Goetz, the subway shooter in NYC is the last one I remember hearing about, and there was only the one incident. Charles Bronson made the whole "Death Wish" series using this theme.

The psychological bits were interesting, and because they were just bits, tolerable. If it's one thing I can't stand it's endless agonizing over anything.

The audio really gave our newish home theater sound system a workout. Towards the climax of the story the volume got really loud, so loud and such a low frequency that something started resonating. I am not sure what it was. The console? The walls? The TV screen itself? I don't know. I did not know this sound system had that kind of power.

A word regarding the picture at the top of this post. I did not even notice that the title was in a foreign language until I had finished my original post, and then I just assumed it was in Spanish. So I pulled Google's language tools and asked it to translate it from Spanish, and ... nothing. Portuguese? Italian? German? All failed. Is the Google translator really that bad? So I tried searching for the phrase "Curaj Nebanuit" and I got a bunch of hits on "Curaj nebănuit". That's funny: all the URL's end in .ro, as in Romania. Well, gee golly, Miss molly, I'll be a sway backed billy goat. Who'd a thunk it?

And just to pick nits, another word about the picture: notice how the gun sights do not line up with her eye. I wonder if this is a scene from the film, or whether the artist indulged in a little artistic license to arrange the elements on the cover. I suspect the latter, but only because I expect better from Ms. Foster.

Update November 2016 replaced missing picture.

No comments: