Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Truck Dream

I had dream the other morning. I was riding my bicycle. A short distance ahead there was a large truck coming down a ramp that crossed in front of me. The ramp went up to the top of an embankment about four feet tall. This embankment was on my left. The truck looked like one of those big transport trucks that you see in movies about Africa, except this one was bigger and had really big tires, maybe eight or ten feet in diameter. The cab was dark green. The driver started to turn in my direction, but then he spotted me and changed course and went off to his left.

There was a big parking lot at the top of the ramp, mostly empty, and beyond that a warehouse like factory. I was going skiing, but I had to go through the factory area to get to the ski slope. I had to be careful, because I didn't want to irritate anyone who was working with a flagrant display of having fun.

The truck really stuck in my mind, so I went looking for a picture. I was looking for those trucks you see loaded to the gills, hauling supplies to refugees. Found lots of pictures of bizarre, huge and otherwise interesting trucks, but none of the ones I was looking for. I posted links to a couple of the more interesting sites under my link list for this month.

The trucks I am looking for are regular trucks, not semi-tractors. They have a conventional cab, that is, they have a hood over the engine in front of the cab, i.e. they are not cab-over-engine, flat-face, style. The engine/hood sticks out past the front wheels: the front axle is about where the firewall is. The tires are really big, four, maybe five feet high. Truck has only two axles. It has a flat bed with sides, i.e. it is not a dump truck or tank truck or some other special purpose vehicle. I don't think they are made any more. Maybe there were only two and they both got blown up when they were making the movies.

The picture, while not a truck, best captures the essence of what I was looking for.

Update December 2016 replaced missing picture.

No comments: