Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, June 18, 2009

A- or AD-

One of the words in today's Jumble was ADJOIN, which I had heard of before, but I always thought it was sort of a legal term. I thought the common term was ajoin, as they live in ajoining apartments, but ajoin is not an English word, at least according to Merriam-Webster. Then I thought of adjacent, which starts the same as adjoin, but the D is not pronounced, and when I check with the dictionary again, there is no evidence the D is pronounced in either adjoin of adjacent. I can't see it in their cryptic printed pronunciation guide, and I don't hear it in their spoken example. Just one way the online dictionary is an improvement over the printed one. Stupid English.

1 comment:

Eunoia said...

Logical English pronounciations:-

Featherstonehaugh is pronounced fanshaw. Cholmondely is pronounced chumly. And Ghoti is pronounced fish.

Ghoti is pronounced fish?

Sure! GH as in enough. O as in women. And TI as in station ;-)