Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Advertising

On occasion I think about using Google Adsense to put advertisements on my blog. I generally don't like ads, and will avoid pages that have too many or are too obnoxious. Google's ads are kind of low key, so a few small ads might not be out of line.

There are a couple of factors in opposition. One is that Adsense ads only pay if you click on them. Here they are taking up valuable screen space and they aren't paying? They should be paying just for being there! (I have to admit it was not my idea, I picked it up somewhere on the net.) Of course Google provides the website for free, so it's pretty amazing that they don't require ads in the first place.

The second is how much revenue would it generate? I only get about 100 hits a day, and most of them seem to be people trolling for pictures. There are apparently very few actual readers. (Count yourself in the elite if you are reading this.) Allowing ads on my blog is going to need to generate at least $100 a month in order to assuage my guilt for subjecting what few readers I have to *urk* advertising.

On the other hand, all those people who only come for the pictures, maybe they should be subjected to ads, heathens that they are.

2 comments:

Ole Phat Stu said...

" all those people who only come for the pictures"

ROTFL ;-)

Chuck Pergiel said...

I got a good laugh out of your comment. Yes, it sounds like you know what, but when I look at "came from" on my site meter, most of them seem to be from Google's image search, which is kind of weird, because that's where I used to get most of my images. Of course, now my favorite subject is those "mighty erections" as the headmistress said to Tom Selleck in "3 men and a baby", referring, of course, to the big buildings he designed.