Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Marina Panorama, Autostitch, Panoguide


Clicking on the picture will show you a bigger version.

A couple of weeks ago I'm sitting on the deck of "Meantime Girl" with my nephew waiting for Andy to finish cooking lunch. He's the Captain and Chief bottle washer, so it's his job. I'm on vacation so I take some pictures. I spent considerable time yesterday trying to paste these photos together to make a panoramic view of the marina using good ol' Paint. It didn't turn out too bad, but it was obviously a hack job. The lines between adjacent photos were painfully obvious.

Eventually I decided to look on the net for something that would do the job for me and I right away I came across Autostitch. Download & unzip and it's ready to go. A couple of clicks and presto! A finely made panoramic view! It couldn't have been easier.

Okay, now we have a really big picture, how can we put it on the web? That seems to be a bit of a trick. I dinked around for a while, but did not find anything (anything free anyway) that would do the trick. But maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right.

I did find Panoguide, which will display your panoramic images for you, so I uploaded mine.

Besides a panoramic viewer, I also need a program that will scale the finished image. At full scale it's really too big to display on the screen, and Panoguides viewer does not seem to handle scaling well. I wanted the image to span the whole width of the screen, but I wanted to limit the height, so more of the image would be visible, and it would not appear grainy.

Autostitch did a remarkable job of merging the photos, though I did discover one glitch in the canopy of the pontoon boat on the far right side of the image.

Update January 2017 replaced missing picture, removed dead Panoguide links.

No comments: