Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Size Matters

When I let our orange cat out this morning I was struck by his utter fearlessness combined with his small size. Okay, if he had heard something he didn't like, like the garbage truck, he might have hesitated for a couple of seconds. But this morning there were no strange noises, so he trotted right out.

So then I got an idea for a science fiction story. How about we encounter aliens that are ten times bigger, smarter and more capable than we are? We have our own agenda, completely independent of theirs, but we interact for our mutual benefit. How the aliens got to be so big, what they look like, and what mutual benefits we get are all, well, that could be anything.

(Excuse me while I let the cat in. He's pawing at my window. I can't blame him, it's a little cold this morning: 32 degrees.)

It's probably not a new idea, but I kind of like it. I mean I believe I thought of it all by myself. Unless Leo (from the movie Inception) somehow snuck it into my head without my knowing.

No comments: