Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, January 2, 2011

POS

You go to the Point-Of-Sale (POS) terminal (aka the cash register) to buy your latest Piece-Of-S**t (POS) consumer electronic do-dad (WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! FOWL/FOUL LANGUAGE! NSFA!):



A few years ago we got a Motorola DVR (Digital Video Recorder) from Verizon. It pretty much works most of the time, but for as much as it costs, and as much as it gets used, it's a real POS. It's a pain in the neck to use, it doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's just a pisser.

Santa brought us a Logitech Revue for Christmas, and it sounded pretty good, I mean they were hooked up with Google, but after living with it for a week I am not sure it is any better than the Verizon, er, Frontier DVR. The first test is trying to watch a show via Netflix. The 1st day was no go. A couple days later it worked fine. Last night it wouldn't work again. We ended up watching an old episode of In Plain Sight on my wife's laptop. There we are sitting together on the couch, in front of the big screen TV, watching an old TV show on the laptop. Both the laptop and the Revue are using a wireless connection to the same router in the basement, so there's really no excuse for the Revue to fail.

Except I suspect the software was written by a bunch of arrogant asshats who don't know didley about writing firmware, who wave their hands and use big words and C++, the most useless POS ever foisted on the programmer world.

It's all my own fault of course. I'm lazy and I'm cheap. I could set up another computer to do all this, and it would probably work better than what I've got, but that means having to do some actual work, and undoubtedly having to spend hours combing through web pages full of useless information in order to find the two or three bits I actually need, and me being who I am, and the web being what it is, I will undoubtedly get sidetracked and spend three or four weeks chasing wild geese just because I've never seen a goose painted with hot pink camouflage and sequins.

Nissan Micra Sport SR with Nissan Sport Geese in red, white and blue.
Bah.

P.S. The first link I tried for In Plain Site went to the USA Network's official website, but it brought my computer to a stop while it was loading all this crap, so I opted for the Wikipedia link instead. Quick, direct, and no clogging my computer with all their extraneous garbage.

Update April 2016 replaced missing pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent1 I gotta get one of those!