Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, January 7, 2011

Amazon, Google & Tags, Part 2

I had a couple of books to return to Amazon and when I looked at their return policy I noticed a 30 day limitation. Well, that does it for the Logitech Revue. If I don't return it now, I will probably miss the deadline, and as it doesn't seem likely they are going to get the thing fixed, let's return it. So boom, it's in the mail.

The Logitech Review has a bunch of firmware that can be updated. Matter of fact, the first thing it did when we turned it on was to download a 12 Megabyte update. I suspect once it is turned on and connected it can be updated any time at all. However, being able to update doesn't mean there is an update available that will fix my problem. I consider my problem sort of fundamental, and as they hadn't seen fit to make it work properly in the first place, it probably wasn't going to get fixed any time soon. Just to be clear: So boom, it's in the mail.

Meanwhile our little digital kitchen timer died. It happened when it was in my hand just as I had inadvertently pushed a little gray rubber button on the back. At first I thought it was something I had done, so I dinked around with for a bit, then I realized that the thing was older than dirt and maybe the battery had just died.

Not too long ago I needed a little coin cell battery for a remote control. I ended up buying one over the internet from Dr. Battery in Florida for like a dollar. I was so impressed I wrote a post about it. Or at least I thought I did. Went looking for it this afternoon and could not find it. Searching didn't help, tags didn't help. Searching the net failed to reveal the site I used last time, or maybe they have changed so much I didn't recognize them.

In any case, Amazon had a link to a supplier who sold me a battery for $2.50 and no shipping. It may take a few days to get here, but it saves driving to the store and looking through their display of batteries to find that they don't have the one I need, or if they do they want $5 for it.

Marc found another solution: you can buy a sheet of a couple dozen different coin cells from Harbor Freight for like $8. (I couldn't find this deal on their site). If you only use a couple, you come out ahead. Only problem for me is that it would be one more thing to keep track of, and I have too much stuff as it is.

Which is why I returned the books in the first place. I wasn't getting much money back, not after I paid the shipping to return them, but somebody in my family already has copies of these books, I already have a stack of books to read, and the last thing I need is more new stuff to keep track of and store.

No comments: