I finished modifying the code so that it would compile using gcc over a month ago. As I didn't have hardware to test it on, I tried it out on a software simulator and it apparently worked fine.
Then there were some delays in testing, but eventually we discovered, that no, the code would not run on the actual hardware. So I drag a set of hardware home, start plugging things in and my little empire starts collapsing. First it was the display screen, whose mode of failure sent me down a number of ratholes before I replaced it. Then there was the dead serial port, which I cured with a new hard drive, a new installation on Windows and a USB to serial port adaptor.
|New hard drive from Iguana Micro. $70. With Windows and all my development code loaded I am using three percent of the capacity.|
AVR In-Circuit Serial Progammer (ISP or ICSP, depending on who you are talking to).
Cover removed so we can unplug the ribbon cable.
That's a USB cable plugged in the back.
Update September 2016. Replaced missing pictures.