Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bicycle Versus Car

Marc told a curious story at lunch today about a bicycle accident he had when he was a kid. He was riding along on his bike when a car turned in front of him. He couldn't stop and he ran smack into the front side of the car and slid over the hood. The people driving the car stopped and asked him for his address and then took off. Marc, being a kid, was most concerned about getting in trouble with his dad for breaking the bicycle. When he got home his mother was frantic with worry. What had happened to him? Was he hurt? Was he injured? It seems the people in the car were there and told her about the collision and then told her it wasn't their fault and they had six witnesses to prove it. Strikes me as just a little odd.

Shortly after I got my first ten-speed (a Schwinn Varsity, paid for out of my paper route), I ran smack into the back of a parked car. Had my head down, pedaling for all I was worth, probably checking that the deraileurs were properly lined up, and this parked car jumped right into my path. That hurt. Bent and twisted the fork. The replacement cost $7.50, an astonomical sum considering the bike cost something like $70.

Michigan Mike, back when he was Chicago Mike, had a run in with a taxi. Broke one of the passenger side windows in the car. Cut his arm bad enough to require some stitches. He eventually got a settlement from the cab company. It was a couple thousand dollars and it took about a year.

No comments: