Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Lonrho

Biggest company I never heard of: London and Rhodesian Mining and Land Company Limited. Amongst other things, they operate mines in the Bushveld Igneous Complex in South Africa where they extract things like gold, silver and platinum. The Bushveld Igneous Complex, or BIC as he's known to his friends, "contains the world's largest reserves of platinum-group metals". Cool. Something that big and rich ought to have lots of great pictures. Except I couldn't find much of anything, except a bunch of micrographs of mineral deposits which didn't really hit me as as interesting. Probably because I don't know that much about mineral deposits, and what would it gain me if I did? There are already plenty of people with gold fever running around loose in the world. I don't think I need to join the party. Here's what I did find:

Bushveld Igneous Complex, South Africa
Satellite image from ASTER (Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer). Mines, tailings piles, and leach ponds are shown in blue. Deep water is black. Area is 24 by 32 miles centered on 25.6° South, 27.4° East. October 24, 2006.

Same area using Google Maps

South African Gold Mine
I don't think this is one of Lonrho's establishments.
Inspired by a comment on one of Bayou Renaissance Man's posts.

No comments: