Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, August 8, 2021

Fruit Trees

Developed in the 1600s, the Roxbury Russet is the first known edible apple cultivar developed in North America. ELLEN ISHAM SCHUTT/U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE POMOLOGICAL WATERCOLOR COLLECTION, RARE AND SPECIAL COLLECTIONS, NATIONAL AGRICULTURAL LIBRARY, BELTSVILLE, MD 20705

Detroit Steve reports:

I love blueberry, Juneberrys grow where blueberries can not, something I am not sure I ever have had.

Cornell is establishing a small farm core educational program.

Along that line, east coast cities love to plant fruit trees on their streets. Spending some of my summers in Boston, pears trees were everywhere.

Fun Fact...

New York has fruit trees with multiple grafts on them, producing multiple fruits from the same tree.

Now jumping to Detroit, the inner city is basically barren of trees, residents actually cut them down so as not to have to maintain or the cleanup expense of trimming overgrown trees. 

Puzzling to me at first when I heard this. Save the day with Fruit trees? A food source and a beautification program.

Fruit trees are wonderful - if anyone can be bothered to pick the fruit before it falls on the ground.

We had some kind of plum tree in our front yard in Beaverton. Never bothered with the fruit except when it fell to the ground and you had to avoid stepping on it and tracking it into the house. 

My dad liked fruit. I think that was part of his motivation for buying the orchard.

When we lived in Phoenix there were orange trees everywhere. There was an organization called the gleaners who attempted to harvest these oranges. They couldn't keep up.

My son took out the plum tree in his backyard.

Fruit is nice, but it's more like entertainment than food. When I am hungry I would rather have something more substantial.


No comments: