Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, December 17, 2021

Inscrutable

Hieroglyphics and Emojis

I read a post the other day about how meme's are a new language, and then I came across this meme (above) and then I'm remembering Picard trying to communicate with the Darmok, which is problematic because the Darmok talk in metaphors. Then there was something I vaguely remember reading a while back about how Chinese isn't structured the same was as Western languages and that could make understanding, and therefor translation, difficult.

So now I'm wondering if Chinese ideographs didn't evolve from pictures that illustrated a story, and so they are essentially speaking in metaphors which is why they just seem so alien.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I don't much care for icons. There are a few I have learned through constant exposure and constant use, but there still many icons on many of the programs I use that I have no idea what they are for. I much prefer words. I realize words take up more space, and a poor choice can be worse than no word at all, but good choices are wonderful. Well, that's me, being all superior and literate and shit. I spent a lot of time learning all these words I've got in my head and I don't want to have to learn what a bunch of new symbols mean, especially since the few I've looked at seem to be stupid and worthless.
 

1 comment:

Chris said...

Not to mention that words can be sorted and searched.