Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, December 6, 2021

Latin Demons

An Egyptian Procession -  F.A. Bridgman 1902
Or a Latin teacher leading his class

Latin class in school:

▪  maverkloki

So if my students finish a quiz/test early. I ask them to draw me stuff on the back (partly so those who need more time are less self conscious about still having the test out, partly because fuck year, pictures), and it may he the single best decision of my career.

In the past couple of weeks, I've told these kids that (a) the Romans believed there were demons in their public toilets and (b) the word for "janitor" comes from "ianitor", which means "(door) guard"

So now I'm getting drawings of superhero janitors taking on toilet demons, and it's so beautiful.

▪  maverikloki

Aaaaand today a student showed me a video of himself lighting a fire in his toilet while chanting the conjugation or the word "to be".

He said he wanted to recreate the ancient toilet demons, and I have concerns.

▪  interrobang-incorporated

K... but why conjugations of to be?

▪  maverikloki

My students kept forgetting how to conjugate esse, so I turned it into a rhythmic chant that I had them say over and over. The problem is that when you chant ANYTHING in Latin it sounds like you're summoning a demon, which they decided was awesome, so uh. Now I'll just be randomly walking through the hallway and hear voices chanting, "sum es est! sumus estis sunt!"

I'm 99% sure my colleagues think I've started a cult.

▪  klanahearo

Keep doing what you're doing. I'm sure everyone will turn out all the better for it. 

Source maverlok

1 comment:

Ole Phat Stu said...

Serva facere quod vales. Certus sum quisque omnia evenient melius.