Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Two Dude Defense by Walter Walker

Murder mystery set in San Francisco, like so many others before. Complicated blackmail / murder / arson plot. Private eye, religious cult brainwashing kids (where have I seen this before? Chandler, maybe?), The girl with the dragon tattoo makes a brief appearance. I wonder if this is where Stieg got his character? Our detective is not too smart, he gets beat up a lot, I mean every time he turns around, someone is whacking him over the head. There's a little too much smart guy talk. Where Dirty Harry would have just grunted this guy goes on for an entire paragraph. I think the writer was just enamored of writing tough guy talk. Prices are kind of surprisingly low, but then this was written 25 years ago. Not a great book, but if you are a writer I think you might be able to learn some things from it, both good and bad. It's kind of like some movies I've seen: with a little judicious editing, it could have been a really good story.

I got the picture off of Ebay. The cover is kind of like the book, nothing special, but at least the picture on Ebay was big enough to see, unlike Amazon, who only put up a dinky little thumbnail.

No comments: