Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, September 25, 2009

Sex Abuse? Or Abuse of Power?

I read a story in the Oregonian today and it got me all kinds of P.O.'ed. Two people, a man and a woman, were convicted of sex abuse of a minor and sent to jail for five years. Well, you say, they got off easy, perverts like that shouldn't ever get out of jail. Then I read the description of the abuse:
Her crime, according to the Supreme Court ruling, was bringing the back of a boy's head in contact with her clothed breasts in a room of 30 to 50 people for about one minute.
and:
Buck touched the clothed buttocks of a 13-year-old girl who was sitting next to him fishing. When the girl stood up, Buck brushed the dirt off the girl's shorts with two swipes of his hand.
WTF? This is sex abuse? I don't think so, it doesn't even sound sexual, must less abusive. Of course this was a newspaper report and we know how newspapers twist things. Still, if this report has any bearing on the reality of situation, there is something very wrong with our criminal justice system. Whoever brought the original charges should be run out of town of a rail. Tar and feathers wouldn't be out of order either.

I know, I shouldn't read the newspaper, it just gets me upset. Probably gonna kill me one these days when one of their stories sends my blood pressure through the roof. If I was prone to hearts attacks, or if I had high blood pressure. Reading these kind of stories makes me want to go out and eat some salt.

No comments: