Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tone of Voice

I was driving in my truck the other day and I had the radio on scan. It paused on one station and just from the speakers voice, before he even said "Jesus" or "Hallelujah", I knew it was a Christian station. I didn't pause.

Then yesterday I called the University to settle an accounting question and I got a recording with a woman's voice, but it wasn't one of those bright, perky little messages you get from a business. She sounded exactly like a stuffy academic bureaucrat who was only talking to me because she was required to. Eventually I got to a real person who was, if not charming, at least pleasant. Even better she was efficient. She dealt with me and my problem in less than a minute, and I was happy about the outcome to boot.

So whats the deal? Do people learn their tone of voice from their environment? Or do people with a certain tone of voice end up in certain kinds of jobs? Maybe that's what determines whether you get hired for any particular job or not. It's not your resume, or your qualification, or the way you dress. It's all in how you say whatever it is you say. That is just weird enough that it might be true.

No comments: