Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, August 20, 2011

TV

I finally pulled the plug on cable TV. I've been threatening to do it for months, but now I've finally done it. Should save me about a hundred bucks a month. No more cable, so I unplugged the DVR (Digital Video Recorder) and plugged in the antennae, the same antennae we were using ten years ago before we signed up for this cable nonsense. We get about a dozen channels, but since there is no DVR in the mix anymore, there is no pause, replay, or skip over the ads. I turned the tube on yesterday afternoon and caught a bit of Master and Commander, which was pretty good for a bit, and then we got to the ads. Haven't seen many ads lately, so it was kind of interesting to see what they were selling. Prescription drugs and lawsuits, mostly. The show came back on and there was some idiot redcoat running around on deck trying to shoot an albatross with a musket. What is it with some people? You give them a gun and they are ready to shoot anything that moves. Some vile part of human nature, I suppose.

I was glad I saved up my change requests. I would not want to have to call Frontier twice. I swear it took me an hour to get through all the hold time and question and answer sessions to get everything canceled. Good thing we have a speaker phone button on one of our phones. Playing Spider Solitaire while waiting made it all tolerable. Pushing the zero button repeatedly got me past the robo-cop automated menu system. Once I got to a real person I believe I was able to mind my manners and even be cordial. I wouldn't want their job. I wonder if anyone actually enjoys that kind of work?


I still think an all advertisements, all the time, channel would be a money maker.



No comments: