Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Memory Dump - Some Kind of Hero

I've had this memory of a movie rattling around in my brain for the last couple of months. I could remember almost everything about it, except the name: Some Kind of Hero. It starred a black man and a white woman, who I thought were Richard Pryor and Debra Winger. I did some poking around on the internet, but until this morning I wasn't able to figure out the answer.

The movie does star Richard Pryor. This is what I remember about it. Pryor is a soldier in Vietnam who gets captured by the Viet Cong. He spends some time as a prisoner of war. His captors want him to sign a confession, and he does, but he signs it "Jack Meoff", which gets him a beating. One of his fellow prisoners is suffering from something that requires medical attention, and "Jack" tries to get him some help. He may have signed something in order to get it. That part is vague.

He eventually comes home to the States where he is greeted by a news crew as he gets off the plane. The newswoman encourages him to kiss the ground, as he had said he would be glad to do, so he does, and he gets his fifteen minutes of fame.

Somehow he hooks up with a white hooker, who I thought was Debra Winger (Terms of Endearment) but was actually Margot Kidder (Lois Lane in the Superman movies. Am I mistaken or do they actually look a lot alike? )He also gets his hands on stack of bonds, which he attempts to sell to some guys from the mob. When the deal actually happens, he thinks he is not going to get out of there alive, and actually says so. But this is Hollywood, so I am pretty sure he escapes with his life, the loot and the girl, and they live happily ever after.


No comments: