Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Signs of Aging

I've been to church two weeks in a row.

I wrote a little while ago about being exhausted from being frustrated.  My frustration stems from clinging to a belief in justice, and as anyone with critical faculties must realize, justice is merely a theoretical concept, rarely realized in human experience.  Ergo, clinging to a belief in justice is a prescription for constant frustration.

I have an excuse for gong to church.  My sister-in-law expressed interest in church, and she has very little going on in her life and never expresses interest in anything.  My friend Jerry is a big catholic so I pumped him for info and have taken Karen to church twice.

Odd, because I used to regard churches with vile disdain.  Now that I have several decades of hypocrisy under my belt, and the lines of compromise have become deeply etched into my face, I am less judgmental.  Today, I see nothing in the least contradictory about running your Mercedes over a couple homeless people on your way to church. 

The convenient thing about religion is that, along with suspending judgement, you can also suspend a sense of justice.  And you can suspend reason, and shame, and all manner of inconvenient convictions.  From this perspective I better understand the attraction of religion. 

It's a big time-saver, and eliminates a lot of headaches.  Using the same philosophy, I plan to start dollar-cost-averaging my investments, buying lottery tickets, and voting Republican.

Peace be with you!
- California Bob

No comments: