Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Heartbeat


Fleetwood Mac - Dreams

When my erratic heartbeat put me in the hospital 10 or 20 years ago, it was a bit of a surprise. But after a I'd thought about it for a while I realized that this had been going on for a long time. When I lived in Austin 30 odd years ago there were a couple of incidents where I felt my heart racing, which made me feel a little weak. I'd lie down and after a while, perhaps overnight, things would return to normal. And then I remembered my failure to acquire a Physical Fitness merit badge from the Boy Scouts when I was about 13. The one test that kept me from earning that badge was the mile run. Could not do it. I don't know how far I got, but I quickly got out of breath.
     This morning I'm out for my morning constitutional and I recalled an incident from elementary school. We were playing tag and I was unable to chase anyone else down, so I resorted to the old African 'persistence hunting' technique: I just kept walking toward my prey. Eventually they got worn out bolting away and I was able to tag them. I don't think we played that any more, couldn't have been much fun for anyone involved. So I'm thinking there was a problem with my heart even then.
    Then there is the terminology. Every time I visit the cardiologist (which is annually), he asks me if I have been 'short of breath'. Now short-of-breath, to me, means you can't catch your breath. No matter how much you breath, you are constantly out of breath. Out-of-breath to me means you are breathing heavily, presumably because you are suffering from an oxygen deficiency, but in a few minutes that deficiency has been corrected and your breathing returns to normal. I get out of breath often, just climbing a flight of stairs will do it, but I recover in a couple of minutes and I don't seem to be any worse for wear.

P.S. We have the tune because that's what I heard when the word 'heartbeat' popped into my head this AM.

Update November 2016 replaced missing video.
Update December 2018 replaced missing video.
Update June 2019 replaced missing video.

No comments: