Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, April 8, 2022

Juan Sebastián de Elcano


Juan Sebastián de Elcano
The History Guy: History Deserves to Be Remembered

This showed up on YouTube and I thought 'cool, a sailing ship', then I started watching it and I realized that this Juan Sebastián de Elcano lived during the same time period covered by The Verge, the book I have been reading since Christmas. Yes, I'm a little slow. 

Then I find that, once again, propaganda trumps reality. Magellan may have got his expedition going, but then he got killed. That often results in the expedition failing, but not this time. Our boy Juan  managed to bring at least some of the crew and one of the ships back to Spain and in so doing completed the first circumnavigation of the world. Magellan started the expedition, but he wasn't attempting to sail around the world, he just wanted to get to the Spice Islands.

A model of the barquentine Juan Sebastian De Elcano

The image above is from The Noble Maritime Collection. Their description includes this little factoid:
She has reached 17 knots with 75-knot winds . . .
75-knot winds!?! That's a hurricane. I looked for such an event but didn't find one. I suspect it must be a typo.

No comments: