Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, July 7, 2022

Logical Thought Versus Feelings

I was listening to a tune yesterday. Maybe I'll remember a line and be able to track it down, but right now I can't name it. I've heard it many times before and I like it well enough, not enough to rate posting it here, but well enough. I'm listening to the lyrics and it suddenly occurs to me that a great deal of the noise we here on the media about politics is inspired by feelings, not by logic. That's why so much of what we hear doesn't make any sense. It's because the spouters are not trying to make sense, they are expressing their feelings. And people react emotionally to those statements.

That's why trying to have a rational discussion with political opponents so often fails. It's not because one party is wrong, it's because they aren't even speaking the same language.

Update ten hours later. I figured out what the tune was:


Broken Bells - Good Luck (Official Video)
brokenbellsmusic

The song came out two years ago, so some people might think that Trump is 'the face of evil's on the news tonight', but you listen to it today and you might think Biden is the devil under discussion. The two guys who made this tune had this to say:

 That's pretty neutral. However, people will hear what they to hear.

Then I found this post on Daily Reckoning:

The Deep State Is Sadistic by Jeffrey Tucker

Which prompted me to comment:

My theory of the day is that the people in white house are operating on the premise that wanting something is enough to make it happen. They are operating on feelings and dreams. They do not understand how the world works. They are smart people, smart with words and playing to people's emotions, but they are dreaming. They have no idea how the world actually operates. This can work for people at the top level, if they have competent people doing the actual work. But when all you have is true believers and you don't have any competent, grounded people available to do the actual work, you get the disaster that we see happening now.

I posted a link to another essay by Jeffrey Tucker a week ago.

No comments: