Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Throwing Money On The Fire

"It's not about money, it's about sending a message; everything burns!" - The Joker

Sometimes I wonder if we aren't all just sitting around a big fire throwing dollar bills into the fire just to see them writhe as they burn. We have a got a zillion channels of communication open, and some people have figured out how to use those channels to their advantage. There are scads of people (for some value of scads) who are making a comfortable living off of social media. There are even a few (for some value of 'a few') who have become wealthy. Some of them impart words of wisdom, some of them are just cute. Some of them are delivering overtly political messages, but all of them have some kind of social context they are coming from, and that social context contains their political affiliation. With some it's more obvious than others, with some it takes the infra-red eyesight of a political Karen to detect it. You can always count on political Karens to sniff out the unreliable ones.

Advertising is pretty gol-dang, horn swaggling weird. Trying to avoid using profanity, though those might be fightin' words in some parts. I detest advertisements. I think it might be because I tend to be focused on whatever I've doing. If I'm working, I'm working, I don't have time this nonsense. If I'm goofing off, I'm goofing off, and I still don't have time for this nonsense.

How so some ever, I have noticed lately when I am very tired, I will look at ads, even read them. And I have to admit I've gone to some click-bait sites just to see. But I only do that when I am really tired. You'd think that when you got tired, you'd go to sleep, but it doesn't always seem to work like that. So sometimes you're awake but you're tired and you can't sleep, so you click on stupid stuff because your brain is stupid, and maybe you buy something. I've never done that, but I have bought a few carefully considered items that are just sitting on the shelf, waiting the eternal wait of the unwanted. They were cheap, like $10 each, but goomba probably sold a zillion of them, enough to finance another round of buy-a-lot-of-do-dads wholesale and sell them retail via Amazon.

Advertising is paying for all this social media, advertising and few zillion subscribers like me who pay not see advertisements. So if we are using the internet, we are contributing to this firestorm, even if we are not looking at the ads, they are still there in your peripheral vision and your brain remembers shit, sorry, stuff, even if you don't consciously remember it.

This artist's impression depicts Pluto's surface. The sun appears roughly 1,000 times fainter than it does on to us on Earth. Pluto's moon Charon hangs in the sky. Image released June 8, 2015. (Image credit: NASA/Southwest Research Institute/Alex Parker)

Some people are fire spirits, they love to jump in the fire and cavort with their brethren. Most people find it exhausting, though given the size of the fire these days you might not think that. There are more people in the fire these days and the fire is bigger, but the crowd around the fire extends out quite a ways. Out on the outer edge of crowd you can barely tell there is a giant fire in the center. Kind of like looking at the sun from Pluto.


The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long | BLADE RUNNER
Best Quotes

From 2007: The Witches Hat Shape of Politics. I think I spelled witch's wrong.

1 comment:

Ole Phat Stu said...

I doubt that the sun would appear as a disc in Pluto's sky.
Does NASA have any evidence to support this?